Monday, October 4, 2010

You can play good enough to succeed, but run bad enough to fail

Its five handed in a $3.40 18 man, and I am 4 of 5. The short stack shoves and I have 5bb and A9s and the blinds are about to go up. I think in my mind that I have been running so bad that there is no way I am ahead, and if I was ahead there’s no way I will win. I know I have to call this, its shorthanded and the blinds will eat me alive so I shove to ISO expect the player yet to act to wake up with a monster which would be pretty much standard the way I have been running. Both players fold and I am up against AKo, yup just what I expect time for his hand to hold and for me to bubble, thanks Poker Stars. I hit a 9 on the flop and the bubble breaks. This is an example of maintaining focus and playing correctly no matter how good or bad you’re running.

I could have easily folded in this spot hoping the blinds would wake up with a calling hand and I would limp into the money, but that would be a leak. When I am running badly I used to tighten up and play bad because of the fear that I am going to get unlucky. I know now that this has a negative effect on my game and my bankroll. Playing in a way that does not maximize my profitability over the long run will only make down swings worse. Sometime I have to understand that I can play good enough to succeed, but run bad enough to fail. Down swings and bad luck is a part of the game. Winning players understand this and don’t let these events change the way they play. All I have to do is use good bankroll management and keep studying to improve my game and the rest will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment